Sunday, February 1, 2009

Cibo

The food in Bologna is excellent for two reasons; freshness and inexpensiveness. These two things make my cooking excursions much more practical, and delicious.

So far I've been mainly frying stuff up, which leads me to believe that either everything tastes good fried or i'm a better cook than i realized. I've successfully made eggplant parmesan twice, once without ricotta, which turned out better than i thought, chicken parmesan, lemon chicken cutlet, and one time i fried up a whole mess of chicken and had too much egg left over so i just threw it in and made scrambled eggs with chicken breast. These recipes I learned from watching my mom cook for me pretty much every day of my growing up, Thanks Ma! The last time i made eggplant parmesan , it came out so good that Paula asked me to teach her how to make it!

The picture to the right is of Emory, Me, and Claire (claire is one of my American roommates from Georgetown, Emory [the super enthusiastic one pointing at the plate of incomplete eggplant parm] is an ol) . I have to take a picture of the food completed next time.

I also experimented with some recipes which injected me with enough america to keep on going through this peculiarly grey bologna winter, including cheeseburgers (using parmesan, egg, breadcrumb, basil, and paprika in the meat), and even a steak marinated in Jack Daniels (with helpful chunks of butter and garlic). So far I have met success, but perhaps these have not been challenging enough, i want to attempt to make some deserts, or maybe a full meal, consisting of some courses or something. I really want to make a sauce too.

cultural note: many italians have never heard of chicken parmesan or alfredo sauce, despite its plentiful existance throughout Italian american restaurants and homes.

No comments: